Thursday, March 30, 2017

Love wool - respect the sheep


This morning when I gazed quickly at the outside thermometer, that is my custom when I let the dogs out and in, I could not believe the numbers: - 22 ÂșC!! Ok, so there is spring for me. Snow and ice as far as the eye takes you. But, I calm myself saying that these are the very last bits of winter, April is just about to begin, this cannot go on for long. Then again, I live in the Arctic where tobogganing is almost always good, so this temperature did not come as a total surprise. The weather forecast predicts that this night will be as cold as the previous. When the sun is out, the world is sparkling white here in the country side; the snow is hard in the mornings, so hard that you can walk on it. All through the winter you are hindered by the snow and suddenly, the world is there to walk where ever you please again. The dogs love this freedom, especially Ruusu. She has short legs and all through winter, she is like a train when she pushes with determination through snow and now she looks so happy when she can prance around.

I have not done much knitting or crocheting lately. I attended national quilting happening few weeks ago, and it was inspiring as always. Then got flu, battled through it with fluids and bed rest only to trip over on Monday on my daily, icy walk. No bones were broken but tissue damage on both of my hands, left hand got the biggest hit. I did feel old while I was waiting in the emergency room with blueish, battered hands. Seems like lots of complaining now, but this is what has happened…But on the bright side, all is well after all.
Since I have made this one little creature. He has a mission statement. It reads:

L O V E   W O O L ---  R E S P E C T   T H E  S H E E P 

This sentence has echoed in my head while I have been thinking of him and making him. He does not have companions yet, but he will have a herd. I will tweak the pattern too, I am not quite happy with the horns yet, so I will need to move them a bit at least and I am not sure if I will work on his face little more too. I am happy of the shape of the horns and little thrilled that I could turn them after sewing without breaking the seams, but the placement is not quite right yet.
I need to picture peaceful green meadows with flowers to get into the right mood to make more sheep, but all this snow is slowing me down. I wonder if I will just need to wait for a bit…
I did not intend to stay quite this long away from the blog. Thank you once again for coming back to see a glimpse of my world. These little flowers are reaching for the sun, and I feel exactly the same, my nose is pointing to the same direction.
Wool with you,
Lene

32 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This has got to be the cutest sheep EVER. Love him/her. And the back side is equally cute!! So sorry to hear about your fall. I do hope your hands are healing well and not giving you too many complaints.

    Our plants seem slow this year...a few daffodils, and some tiny crocus. The hyacinths are just beginning to appear. We (Eastern PA) are not quite as cold as the Arctic (hahaha), but still needing warm coats during the day and blankets at night. Hoping Spring arrives soon for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisabeth21:26

    I can't even imagine living in such a cold climate. Here in California we have had a very wet winter but now it is warming up and the pastures are green. We have six lambs so far in our little flock. It does the heart good to see them jumping and larking about. Hope you have spring soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara W.02:36

    I am glad to hear it sounds like your hands are healing or have already healed - I know it must have been painful!

    Love the sheep with the swirly eyes and the little tuft of a tail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sandra03:03

    Wonderful sheep! Quick healing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best to you and I will try to push our warm weather, 18 degrees..very unusual for this time of the year ..a bit in your direction..I just came back from your country and it was rather strange to step fully into Spring here in Switzerland...congratulations to your great little sheep... Ciao ciao Christa

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are back to 100% soon. I'm sure the ideas are brewing while you heal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our spring is taking its good old time as well, but I know it will be here before long.

    Between your kitties and now the sheep, you are making some of the most adorable things in the world! I wish I had your creativity and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie19:33

    Haha! I love him, can't wait to see the rest of his herd, and as always, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth in Maryland20:02

    Sorry you fell down! It's a discombobulating experience. But I'm glad you are OK and "knitting on."

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are having an early melt in Winnipeg this year, but the ice has been terrible--many falls and emergency room visits. I am so glad you are ok from yours--heal fast! Your ram is fabulous. My twins would love it! Happy almost spring--it is great to buy flowers when it is still cold out! Gives me hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. auntidda20:06

    I am with you! I live in Nome, Alaska, USA and although we are starting to melt and get warmer temperatures (still in the negatives), it is ice all around. I am so sorry to hear about your fall. It is my worry, too. I always think, that I hope to break a leg instead of an arm if I do fall. How would I knit, otherwise? I respect the sheep! I love him, too. Have fun making a herd. While you dream of sheep, I dream of Musk Ox.

    ReplyDelete
  12. -22 C, that is really cold! (friday we had +18 in denmark). I hope your hands heal fast, it is sad not being able to knit. The sheep is lovely, but so are all your creations, it is such a pleasure to follow your doings in the cold north :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous15:01

    Reading your words and getting a little glimpse into your world brings the same light and color as the daffodils near your window! Thank you for posting. From my perspective, your world holds a bit of magic--the returning of the light, the projects you conceive and commence, your lake and your dog stories, that cat (Vaino) and your herd of cats and now the sheep and all of what comes from you add color and interest and spark to this reader's days. Yes, the earth is reaching for spring. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sheep and so sorry about the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous18:15

    What a cute sheep. Thanks for sharing it. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sheep is fabulous as it is, but I love your attention to detail and am curious to see your desired mods. Recover and complain it's ok. We all have at it once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the the sheep are even cuter than the kitties! I love the horns that are askew!

    Sorry you were sick and injured! What bad luck. Same thing with me, but I fell while dizzy with flu and injured the knee the surgeon just fixed last year. We shall both move on and be healthier.

    Can't wait to see how the flock of sheep grows!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I thought the cats was cute! Love the sheep!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spring will come. The flowers tell me so. I love the sheep and kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your blog and love the aesthetic! Your sheep is ADORABLE :) such personality! I'm sorry to hear you had the flu--me too!--but all on the mend now, it sounds like. Looking forward to coming back to read more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am very happy to hear that you are feeling better. Falling is such a frightening experience even if you are not seriously injured. Your sheep are absolutely adorable. Keep well and happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous17:30

    May is just around the corner. I cannot wait to see May in the Arctic through your lens and I cannot wait to see your latest wool, fabric...anything you post. Waiting for your posts like you wait for May.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In some northern parts of the USA, they like to say they have two seasons: winter, and "bad sledding".

    Ellen in Connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  24. You haven't blogged for awhile now...hope you and yours are happy and healthy and I that I have no reason for concern. If you are just taking a summer break, great, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ElizabethD00:56

    Happy Solstice to you! I trust your hands have healed as the days have grown longer. . .

    ReplyDelete
  26. It has been 3 months since you have blogged. I pray that you and your family are well. Looking forward to your return to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hope you have recovered and the sun is shining down on you. Whatever you create is always charming.
    Please do blog soon again, so we know you are well. We miss you you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous17:34

    Hope you have recovered and the sun is shining down on you. Whatever you create is always charming.
    Your comments about complaining are not that...it is only venting. And we all do that. Here is hoping your summer is going well and that we hear from you soon to know you are fine again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope everything is fine. I am praying that is true. Looking forward to more from you about your animals and your repurposing of other knitted items.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cute little sheep and the flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous12:56

    Lene, everything you create is so interesting or beautiful. Hope you are well and enjoying the summer weather. Miss hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete